Party Like It's 1922



After reading Chapters 1 through 3 of The Great Gatsby, I think choosing which of the three parties I would go to is more of choosing which of the three parties I would feel the least awkward at. I would go to Gatsby's party for the simple reason that my personality would fit in easier there.
White Claw GIF
Chapter 1's party, hosted by Daisy, immediately gives me the vibe that I would be bored in no time. It seems like the aim of the party is to drink, make small talk, and show off your personality. The uncomfortable relationship that Daisy and Tom have rubs off on the atmosphere of the party, making everyone think twice about what they're saying because they are afraid offense will be taken. Tom isn't exactly "the life of the party" kind of person, and him being one of the notable people at the party contributes to the awkward atmosphere. One of the first things Tom says during the party is, "just because I'm stronger and more of a man than you are," and "I've got a nice place here." This gives the impression that Tom nor Daisy are really there to party and more to show off their status and personality.
Dying Status Update GIF

Myrtle's party in Chapter 2 gives off a weird vibe right away. The extravagant characters that are featured in the chapter are people that I'm sure are entertaining for a few minutes but quickly become difficult to bear with. The description of Catherine's mannerisms makes me shudder. "She came in with a proprietary haste and looked around so possessively at the furniture that I wondered if she lived here. But when I asked her she laughed immoderately, repeated my question aloud, and told me she lived with a girl friend at a hotel." F. Scott Fitzgerald's description of Catherine and the other characters makes me think of people in my own life that annoy the life out of me, which is the main reason I would not want to go to Myrtle's party.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF


A rare image of Catherine


On the other hand, Gatsby's party calls me in just by reading a few paragraphs. The detailed descriptions of entertainment going on there are right up my alley, and I'd love to spend a whole night listening to music and surrounding myself with interesting people. Gatsby's party features dancing gypsies, a whole orchestra, and several notable singers of the time. While most people would be chatting and getting drunk out of their minds, I'd be enjoying the musicality of it all. The library in Gatsby's mansion also seems like a fantastic place to rummage through and get lost in. Even if Gatsby's party was the most basic party ever, I'd still feel less uncomfortable there than at either of the other two parties.
Snoop Dogg Dancing GIF by Romy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Just In: Nuclear Power is Dangerous

Some Lit Devices

Gamers: The Most Oppressed Class in Society