Gamers: The Most Oppressed Class in Society



Joker. It's simple we kill the batman | WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY | image tagged in joker it's simple we kill the batman | made w/ Imgflip meme maker
We live in a society―a society that benefits from degrading and shaming gamers. 

Since the first arcades opened in the '70s, adults and anyone who didn't find enjoyment in video games have blamed them for aggression and delinquency. Gamers appreciate the effort that goes into making these video games, and feel a sense of accomplishment after reaching a landmark in a video game. Unfortunately, gamers are one of the most oppressed classes in society, simply for having a hobby that differs from the norm. Gamers are not only shunned by "Chads" and "Stacies" for rising up against the precedent of a "perfect" life of working out and pulling chicks, but also have to deal with their personal delight being blamed by the media for mass VIOLENCE. Gamers are dismissed as shut-ins who will never amount to anything in their life.

Trump blames video-games for gun violenceThe truth is, gamers are only blamed for the problems of others because people can't admit to their own mistakes. This is a classic example of a scapegoat, one that is the object of irrational hostility. When people realize just how little control they have over their own life, let alone someone else's, they're so quick to condemn another person's choices in order to feel better about themselves.
Gamers rise up : memes
We have a modern witch hunt taking place in our society today. Just as innocent women were accused of being witches in the 1600s, innocent gamers are accused of being impulsive deadbeats with violent tendencies.

In any other situation, taking advantage of someone is looked down upon―seen as unfair, except in the situation of oppression towards gamers. The sad truth is, most people don't even realize that gamers are undergoing all this injustice. We all know how badly the Salem witch trials ended, with many innocent women dead for an accusation that had no basis. The same will happen with gamers―which brings me to my next point about the connection between Tituba in The Crucible, and gamers' maltreatment.



Tituba, the slave character in The Crucible, is blamed for poor choices that characters like Abigail have made. In reality, Tituba is guilty of nothing more than being different. The white-skinned characters in the book either feel either fear or envy of Tituba's dark skin, therefore don't feel guilty when accusing her of witchcraft. Obviously, it could never be the poor, innocent girls of the town who are responsible for these unholy events, it must be the slave. She's different and easy to place the responsibility on.

Witch Hunting in Salem...... | Christian History ...

It's the same story every time: people don't have the courage or humility to admit to something they've done wrong, and solve this problem by placing blame on someone who is unable to say no. This also occurs in instances of school bullying; insecure kids who make themselves more powerful by joining into groups take advantage of an innocent child because they're too afraid to admit their own insecurities. Whether it's witches or gamers, people will always be taken advantage of by people higher up than them―unless someone can be brave enough to lead a revolution.

We've suffered under this oppression long enough.

Gamers, rise up.

Post image

Comments

  1. julian,
    To start off, when I was reading your blog, I had a better understanding of your topic, since when I read the title, I was a little confused. I liked how you really went in and explained in detail, and I feel like that is what gave me a different perspective on your topic. Although, I don't full agree with your topic of "Gamers", I did enjoy reading your blog. Lastly, your grammar was perfect, I wish I could say the same for myself! I also thought your pictures and gifs went well with your topic. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danyell, I'll remember to not make my titles as misleading in the future, although I think having an eye-catching title is just as important in order to draw the attention of potential readers.

      Delete
  2. Overall Julian, I really liked the way you organized this post, it made your ideas very persuasive and easy to follow because each paragraphs main idea flowed into the next. For example, in the introductory paragraph you build into the idea at the end that "Gamers are dismissed as shut-ins who will never amount to anything in their life," then in the next paragraph you continue on this same idea but you expand upon on it by calling this a scapegoat. What I like about this is that you use this to further continue building to the main argument of the blog post. Another thing I wanted to mention about your writing is that a lot of times you go and say, this will happen or this means that. For example, going back to the same quote I mentioned earlier, "Gamers are dismissed as shut-ins who will never amount to anything in their life," here you are arguing that all people are regarding gamers as "deadbeats" or people who spend much of their time being idle, which you mention later. Gamers, which is defined by Merriam Webster as: a person who regularly plays computer or video games, and regularly as defined by Merriam Webster: constituted, conducted, scheduled, or done in conformity with established or prescribed usages, rules, or discipline. This means that the people playing the games could not actually be categorized as "deadbeats" overall making a large portion of your reasoning for your argument flawed. Maybe next time, I'd suggest giving a more concrete reason for your argument, or backing up the reasoning a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I actually agree with you that I need more concrete evidence to back up my claim. I'll remember that for the future.

      Delete
  3. To be honest I have no idea how to start this. The blog has left be dazed. To be honest it feels more like a manifesto than the prompt. I fully agree with your outlook, but I guess the easiest way I can say it is, you are right for the wrong reasons. The tie to Tituba was very good, but maybe handle the subject with a bit more care. Also it would be beneficial to your claim if you backed the arguments presented at the beginning with more facts and less ranting. I agree with you, but there could have been more of a rational argument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you couldn't handle the Neutron style 😎

      Delete
  4. Julian,
    Your blog was very organized and easy to follow. Your main ideas for each paragraph tied in really well and you had a lot to talk about. On another note, I think you should add more factual information to back up your statements. I also don’t remember reading whether or not your topic was justifiable, so make sure you read the prompt. Overall, you had a good layout for your blog and your gifs were entertaining just remember to add more concrete reasoning to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that I could do with some more evidence to back up my claim, but I don't understand what you mean by "whether or not my topic was justifiable."

      Delete
  5. Hey Julian, I'm going to start off by saying that the connection between the book and the example from modern society was very clear, and easy to understand. When reading about actions that are looked down on due to the fact that they are different from the norm, it was easy to relate that to a connection to the book. I think the example from the book was good, and wasn't one that you would usually think of when talking about the topic, which is refreshing to read. I would add more quotes to back up your points about the Crucible. I think that some things you said were a little extreme, because I honestly don't think that all people who play video games are looked at as violent people, but I see the point you were trying to make. Overall, I think it was well-written and easy to follow. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Just In: Nuclear Power is Dangerous

Some Lit Devices